4 THINGS THAT DESTROY WINE
Learn how you can save your wine by avoiding the 4 things that destroy wine & why you should avoid using wine racks. Wine is a living, breathing thing. Whether you buy $5.00 bottles of wine or $50.00+ bottles of wine, you need to be mindful of how you store open & unopened bottles. If you prefer not to toss money into the trash, keep reading to find out how to prevent your wine from going bad.
WHAT ARE THE 4 THINGS THAT DESTROY WINE?
Light, heat, vibration & air are all wine “villains.” These villains will destroy your wine, turning both UNOPENED & OPENED bottles into wine vinegar. Is there anything worse than pouring money & a once-great bottle of wine down the drain?
BUILDER-GRADE WINE RACKS DESTROYS YOUR WINE IN 3 WAYS
Builder-grade wine racks installed above the refrigerator are the worst offenders. Why? Because they subject your wine to light, heat & vibration. We have a hideous & impractical builder-grade wine rack in our own home, & we hate it.
WHY BUILDER-GRADE WINE RACKS ARE SO TERRIBLE
Reason #1 → LIGHT
- Builder-grade wine racks are typically above the refrigerator, exposing them to your lights in the kitchen. Unless your kitchen lights are on the floor, you have no worries. (sarcasm)
Reason #2 → HEAT
- This one is a triple wine killer.
- FIRST – since the wine rack is as high as the ceiling, it’s exposed to heat, because heat rises.
- SECOND – it’s exposed to the added heat the refrigerator emits. If you don’t believe me, touch the sides & top of your refrigerator.
- THIRD – it’s exposed to the heat that the ceiling lights emit.
Reason #3 → VIBRATION
- Refrigerators emit vibrations when they “run”. When builder-grade wine racks are directly above the refrigerator, the wine is subjected to the vibration as well.
- Think twice before storing your unopened bottles of wine on a builder-grade wine rack above the refrigerator.
- Alternatively, store unopened bottles in a cool & dark area, away from light, heat & vibration.
So what can you use your wine rack for?…
The only thing a builder-grade wine rack is good for is to store EMPTY bottles of wine.
THE 4th THING THAT DESTROYS WINE – AIR
Do you know there’s an inexpensive gadget to preserve an opened bottle of wine? A wine pump is one of those inexpensive gadgets that actually “pays” for itself.
Air, more specifically oxygen, becomes the enemy when an open bottle of wine is stored only with the cork or screwcap. By using a wine pump & a stopper, it removes as much air as possible out of the bottle. Without proper storage of opened bottles, oxygen can turn it into wine vinegar.
By spending a few dollars on a wine pump & stoppers, it can easily “pay” for itself. It saves you from pouring wine (& money!) down the drain. Just note that it’s recommended to enjoy an opened bottle of wine within 3 days… unless it’s a port-style wine, then it’s good for a few months.
Be mindful of the 4 things that destroys wine & whatever you do, never store wine in a wine rack above a refrigerator.
Love, Peace & Happiness,
Hippie & Sparky